Sea Kayaking in Milford Sound

Milford Sound Travel Blog

After eventually dragging ourselves out of bed, we began the drive to Milford Sound. Thankfully it was easy to navigate and I did not have to drive! We made our way to Te Anau and decided to do sea kayaking the following day. The drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound was absolutely out of this world. Im so glad we drove it ourselves instead of going on the tour bus. We stayed the night in the only lodge in Milford Sound and never have I stayed anywhere so busy before in my life. It was manic!

The following morning was an early start as we were meeting with everyone at 7am. There were quite a few people doing it which I didnt really expect for some reason. We all got kitted out in sexy stripey thermals, fleece, raincoat and skirt thing and made our way to the kayaks. It was good as there were 2 of us to a kayak so it made it easier to paddle. It was a really different way to see Milford Sound and it gave me a real perspective of how big the Sound actually is. We also got really close to all of the wildlife, we could see penguins in the distance but they were scared of us but the sea lions were swimming alongside the kayaks and you got so close you could touch them. By the end of the morning I was quite happy to get out of the kayak as my bum was wet and my hands were sore.

Milford Sound