Scuba Diving on the Great Barrier Reef

Cairns Travel Blog

On Friday, we got a boat out to the outer Great Barrier Reef, initially for me to snorkel and Russell to scuba dive. Once we got on the boat we were chatting to the instructors, who said I could do a 10 minute trial dive for free, I wasnt convinced. For those who dont know me that well, I dont really like water, going in the sea, fish or swimming so all in all diving sounded like my idea of hell.

After snorkelling for half an hour, it was time for my trial dive and I was petrified. I was even more scared than I was doing a skydive and I was not looking forward to it one bit. We had certain exercises to do once in the water such as clearing the goggles and taking the air out of your mouth, which I managed to do fine but was still not convinced so said I wanted to get out. All the time I was doing this Russell was waiting under the water probably wondering what I was doing! As I was about to get out of the water one of the dive instructors that I was chatting to in the morning said he would take me down on my own...how nice is that?! So with a little help I actually made it about 6 metres down and it was amazing. Everything was so colourful, I felt like I was a part of the reef and really in touch with nature. The highlight of the dive had to be stroking a turtle and swimming along with him right next to me, it was out of this world. I was so glad I went diving, but I dont think I would do it again in a hurry. Its quite funny really as before we went away Russell and I discussed what we would like to do, and I said Id probably try alot of things apart from scuba diving.... there was no way on earth I was going in the sea, with all the fish and having to breath through one of those mouth piece things ... there was just no way it was going to happen... or so I thought!

Cairns