Relaxation in Paraty

Parati Travel Blog

On Sunday morning we left Rio and headed off to a costal town called Paraty a 4 hour bus journey from Rio. Again we made it on a local bus to the main bus station with a little help from some locals, I tell you our sign language and pointing skills are now very impressive and knowing Thank You in portugese seems to get us quite a way!

The bus journey itself was pretty impressive, the winding costal roads had views out of this world and at times it was so green and tropical it was like being in a jungle. Paraty itself was pretty small but somehow we managed to get lost in one of the seven streets, my sense of direction is still not improving as I hoped it might.....well maybe by the time I come home but I wont hold my breathe.  The town was very laid back and a proper little tourist town ( the Tenby of Brazil!) which is just what we needed after the hustle and bustle of Rio.

We spent yesterday (Monday) by the beach, which was a short hike over a mountain (well a walk up a hill but it felt like a mountain). The views were once again fab. I have taken loads of photos so now need to get some put up on here. Last night we had some drinks in the hostel with some English people and ended up going out until 2am, not the best idea when you have a 6 hour bus journey leaving at 9am. I didnt feel too bad, Russell on the other hand was a different story..... as Im sure you can all imagine!!

Today we arrived in Sao Paulo and made it to a youth hostel after changing our minds a few times about which one to go to....unfortunately we didnt make the right choice. The location is good as it is really near the centre but the hostel itself isnt up to much so we are moving next door tomorrow to a Formula One hotel for a couple of nights.

The plan is to spend the next few days in Sao Paulo as its Russells birthday on Thursday and on Friday we are heading off to Foz de Iguassu where there are lots of waterfalls and then crossing the border into Argentina for the last few weeks of our South America ......

jowilcox says:
Quick comment, as Jack wants feeding! Sounds fab so far - have wanted to go to Iguassu Falls myself. hamish wants to know exact details on who the footy match was between. Your comments on bunk beds made me laugh - did I tell you about the time a 38 year old Scottish drunk man weed himself on the top bunk as I was sleeping on the bottom!!! Luckily, I didn't get wet, but I was mad! And the Lonely Planet (LP) is a complete bible - I lost mine at the end of my year in NZ and was completely gutted. Looks as if your drinking skills will have to be honed a bit, particularly Russells! Whats the Favela - is it an area? Make sure you fill this in regularly its great! Enjoy yourselves, Jo
Posted on: Oct 10, 2007