Our first step into Asia

Singapore Travel Blog

We flew into Singapore on 28th January from Cairns and the flight took about 7 hours as we had to pick passengers up in Darwin. Again we were quite lucky as we got there so early we had the extra leg room seats and noone sitting next to us, which is again a bonus. After checking into our hostel we went to a 24 hour food court to be faced with the delights of fish head curry and pigs organs soup amongst other things. It was quite a shock as I imagined Singapore to be very westernised, all was ok as I found my self a firm favourite sweet and sour.

Our first day in Singapore was spent looking around - we went up Orchard road where there are millions of shopping centres. I couldnt believe how many of them there were, a real shoppers paradise ( if you are rich anyway). We then went to the bus station to book a ticket into Malaysia and headed to Little India. While we were there the heavens opened and it poured with rain, it didnt seem to be stopping so we finally gave in and bought ourselves some umbrellas. Next stop was Raffles hotel before heading to the river and jumping on a boat for a river cruise. In the evening we headed back to Little India to get ourselves a curry. We went to a brilliant restaurant, which served its currys on banana leaves and it was so tasty - finally a proper curry!

Although we didnt plan to do much on the second day, it ended up being another long day. We went to Sentosa Island to go to a place called Fort Silosa, which was a fort during the 2nd World War. It was really interesting especially as it still had alot of the original buildings there. The rest of the day was spent looking around the island and sorting ourselves out for the trip to Malaysia. We then decided to head to China town to see the new year celebrations. It was crazy as there were markets and people everywhere. We decided to get some food there, but we were a bit disappointed as it wasnt that nice and as Russell was getting the food I ended up having an argument with a lady who was trying to steal his seat. There was a concert also being shown with singers from china and then came the opera. The noise from the opera was deafening and it really went through you so I dont think I will be rushing to watch one in China.

I really enjoyed my time in Singapore as it is like a mixture of countries in one and everyone seemed so integrated, also everyone spoke english which is always a bonus. The only bad thing about it is that it has alot of rules, and if you break them they soon tell you off as Russell found out drinking water on a train, sitting on a shopping centre floor and standing in the doorway of my room!