Melaka - a great start to Malaysia

Malacca Travel Blog

Our first stop in Malaysia was a place called Melaka, about a 4 hour bus ride from Singapore. We found a guest house in the lonely planet that sounded ok so got the taxi to drop us off there. We were greeted by one of the owners a crazy swiss lady. She really was not on the same planet as us, but was quite funny nonetheless. The afternoon was spent trying to get our bearings and having a look around where we were staying. We were located in the China town part and it really seemed to be how I imagine some parts of China to be. Dinner didnt really fill us up that much so we ended up getting cheesecake from a little cafe and it was delicious (a bit like the cheesecake we had in New York Alison). The only bad part of the evening was walking back as there were rats everywhere and bats nearly flying into my head!

We were woken at about 6am by the Mosque calling the muslims to pray. I have never heard it before but it was so loud, but quite majestical at the same time, not sure I would say that if I lived next to it mind. Today we explored Melaka a bit more, going to the museums in the morning and heading into the new part of the city in the afternoon. It is such a diverse place as the old and new parts are so different, but it was a brilliant place to start off. Friday night meant the night markets, a big thing for the local town. It was so busy and as if the whole place came alive. We did get quite a few interested looks as we were walking around especially from young children, one in particular ran away from her mum to come and look at us! You'll never guess what I did see, someone wearing a fulham shirt- much to Russells annoyance he wasnt with me! Later that evening, we sat and people watched, one of my most favourite things to do, although Im sure just as many people were watching us strange British people!

Malacca