Christmas and New Year in Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

As I am so far behind in my blog, Im going to just put a few things down about Sydney over Christmas and New Year and then go back later and fill in the gaps later.......

For Christmas and New Year we were very lucky to get a house in Rockdale, a few train stops from the centre of Sydney, which Russells mum (Brenda) had organised with a lady from her work, Penny.

On Sunday, Brenda arrived into Sydney airport so we went to meet her. As there were two exits Russell and I split up to make sure she would find one of us. In the end Russell ended up finding his mum, but I got to see Natalie Imbruglia which I thought was a good celeb spot! That morning we met with Penny parents who lived up the road and had tea and cake with them. The cake was homemade and so delicious. In the afternoon we went and did our christmas food shop. We had decided to have a bbq for christmas dinner, in true aussie style.

Christmas Eve was spent sightseeing in the centre of Sydney as Russell had not seen the Opera House and Harbour Bridge yet. Brenda and I couldnt believe how quiet it was, there were hardly any people around.

It was strange waking up on Christmas Day and not being at home. It was a very different christmas as we had a bbq for lunch including kangeroo, which was delicious. The presents were opened after lunch which never normally happens at home and in the evening we played Scrabble ( a Crane family tradition!) I really enjoyed the day but unfortunately time went too quick, it seemed to be over too soon.

Boxing Day we went to Watsons Bay to watch the Sydney- Hobart Yacht race, which was a nice day out.

Thursday was spent shopping in a place called Miranda, outside of Sydney, apparently it has the 2nd largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere.

Bondi Beach was the highlight for us (and thousands of other people!) on Friday. We all went in for a swim and a sunbathe before walking around the coast to Bronte and having icecream.

Brendas 60th Australian Birthday was on Saturday and was spent Deep Sea Fishing off the coast of Cronulla.

On Sunday we went to Olympic Village before going out for a beautiful meal in the evening (as noone felt up to it on the Saturday!)

New Years Eve was spent in Mrs Macqueries Point relaxing and waiting for the fireworks at middnight, which were spectacular.

The first day of 2008 was spent in Brighton le Sands in Botany Bay and eating chinese food - yummy!

On Wednesday I met with my cousin Bianca, her boyfriend and 2 cousins - Misty Blue and Saxon. We all went shopping and had lunch. It was so nice to meet with her again and spending time getting to know her.

On 3rd, Russell and I went to the 2nd day of the test cricket match Australia v India. I thought I was going to get bored, but I really enjoyed myself and found it quite addictive.

Brenda left on the friday to meet with her friends and headed to Hobart,and on the Sunday Russell and I finally left Sydney heading to Port Macquerie.

Sydney