Capital Canberra

Canberra Travel Blog

The bus journey to Canberra was fine, took about 8 hours and I got to see my first kind of big spider in Australia! The hostel we decided to stay in was brilliant, there were just 4 of us to the room which is always nice and it had a swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. That evening we decided to make the most of the facilities and afterwards went for a few drinks in the bar next door, which had lots of different live bands playing.

We were so lucky on Friday morning as we were running a bit behind schedule (as per usual) and didnt realise that the chinese embassy closed at midday. We got there 10 minutes before it closed and filled out the visa applications in record time. As we paid for the express option we could pick it up on Monday. It was so good knowing that we were on our way to sorting out our visa. As we were right near Parliament House we went for a guided tour around. The tour guide was really good and certainly knew his stuff, it also made me realise I dont really know much about the government back at home. In the evening we went to Sangria and Sausage night at the hostel and ended up going out with a canadian bloke to a nightclub. It was a good laugh and by the end of the night I was a bit merry!

Saturday was a quiet and relaxing day, which I spent shopping and Russell spent watching some locals playing cricket. That evening was spent in front of the tv firstly watching the film "Clueless" which I hadnt seem for ages and then we watched "Ned Kelly" which was really interesting as we had found out about him in Melbourne goal.

We went to the War Memorial Museum on Sunday afternoon, which was so interesting. We could have spent a few more hours in there but it had to close at 5pm. At the end of the day someone played the bugle and it was really touching especially after everything I had read and saw. That evening was spent planning the rest of our trip around Australia, well a rough plan at least!

Canberra