The Brazilian side of the waterfalls

Foz do Iguacu Travel Blog

On Friday we left for our first long bus journey.....It was without a doubt the worst bus we have travelled, typical as it was our longest bus journey. It was slightly rickety (not sure if that is a word!) with no safety belts but on a positive note it had a toilet! The journey itself was not too bad but everyone went to sleep really early as it turned dark at about 6.30pm, however I struggled to sleep and at 2.30 am I ended up swapping seats with Russell. All was going fine until we arrived in Foz de Iguacu 2 hours early, which meant it was 5.30am! Luckily there was a local bus which dropped us off into the town centre. Nothing was open at all but thankfully we went to the hostel and they kindly let us in and let us sleep on the sofa until they knew if there was room or not at the hostel! The hostel was really nice and there were lots of friendly people.

We were in a dorm and I swear one of the blokes thought he was the terminator, you should have seen him walking around with his truncheon! I think he was a security guard in the local area but he constantly wore SWAT tshirts and was using the punchbag.  We also met up with our Aussie friends Anna and Mike from a previous hostel and spent Saturday night with them and some other people having a few drinks.

On Sunday it rained, I could not believe it, it was supposed to be the first day of summer! The clocks went forward an hour but some people did not realise and ended up missing their tour of the waterfalls - whoops. Thankfully the rain stopped long enough to go and visit the falls. We caught a bus ourselves instead of going on an organised tour and ended up meeting up with a french bloke from our hostel. Once we were inside the Park we caught another bus to the waterfalls. I was a bit surprised by how you were dropped off right by the falls, I thought there would be a bit more walking involved. The waterfalls themselves were fantastic, there were so many of them and from this side you really got an idea of how impressive they were. The views were breathtaking and definately a sight I will never forgot, it was just magical.

Foz do Iguacu