Auckland - First destination of many in New Zealand

Auckland Travel Blog

As you may have noticed the blog has not been updated since arriving in New Zealand as internet cafes are hard to come by and not that cheap but Im going to update it over the next few days especially as I have done a skydive today :) (Sorry i didnt tell you on the phone mum but didnt want you to worry!)

Well we made it to New Zealand in one piece after kind of losing most of a day due to the time difference. We landed in Auckland at about 3.45am, half an hour earlier than planned. Why is it that when you want to be delayed you always arrive early?! We made our way to the hostel and had some time to kill so we bought ourself a Lonely Planet for New Zealand and tried to sort out how we were going to get around. The rest of the day was pretty much spent sleeping, going for food and drinking in the Globe Bar downstairs (only to help us sleep of course!)

As we didnt really do much on Friday, we thought we would attempt some sightseeing on Saturday. We went to Victoria Park market and then caught a ferry to Devonport. It was such a quaint town and as we climbed Mount Victoria we got a real feel for the city, the views were brilliant. On the way back to the hostel we bought some food and wine, but unfortunately as we didnt have any ID we couldnt have the wine - how typical is that! We did however, manage to book ourselves a campervan for most of the time in New Zealand. Well to call it a Campervan is very generous, its a people carrier with a bed in the back, with a fridge, sink and portable gas cooker.

On Sunday we went our separate ways and I spent the day shopping. There were so many nice clothes around, I wanted to buy them all, but naturally I didnt. I managed to pick up a couple of christmas presents though. Russell found the best shop ever on his travels - Warehouse. Its brilliant, a bit like Wilkinsons but only bigger and better.

Auckland