Colonia, Uruguay

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Blog

Traveling to Colonia, Uruguay was an interesting experience that I’ll always remember.  I never thought I’d get a chance to travel to Uruguay, but sure enough this trip provided me with yet another great experience.  The Spanish influence was definitely prevalent with the obvious language selection as well as other noted cultural icons like the bullring outside the city center.  There were also the stone walls, gates, and cannon that one would expect in a Spanish port city.  My other impressions of the city were that it reminded me a lot of Paris but on a much smaller scale. The Spanish influence was definitely prevalent with the obvious language selection as well as other noted cultural icons like the bullring outside the city center.  The cobblestone streets, welcoming alleys, and quaint shops and bars gave it that Parisian feel.  Despite this mixed cultural feeling that I gathered, it was hard to get past the “touristy” feel that had seemed to take over the city.  At times it seemed like I had run into more Norteamericanos, English, and Australians than I had natives.  The restaurant and shop owners seemed to expect this because far more of them spoke English than in Buenos Aires.  Exploring the city was further made easier due to the fact that it was very small and renting bicycles, scooters, and ATVs was extremely cheap and easy to do.  Paying for everything seemed complicated at first due to the two-step process of converting from Uruguayan to Argentine, and then Argentine to US.  However, it was made easier since every place I visited took all three currencies, further proving that the place seemed to be designed for tourists.  Everything that I experienced combined with the beautiful weather on Sunday made for a great getaway that was much needed from the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires.