AsiaNepalPokhara

The most beautiful place in the world

Pokhara Travel Blog

One of continuous Himalayan views on plane ride to Pokhara
    Greetings from Pokhara!
     I realized this morning that the reason I've been feeling sick (very dizzy, headache, tired) was due to the altitude sickness.   I forgot that can happen.  So once I realized it I began deep breathing and drinking more water and it seems to be mostly gone now.  This morning I got up very early for some reason, so I wanted to walk in Thamel.  I started out of the KTM Guesthouse to find that Thamel was completely closed which was surreal given how busy it was hours earlier.  So instead I read in my room until it was time to head for the airport.
Rajendra rowing the boat
  On the way I saw this old man with a monkey on a leash, the first monkey I've seen on my trip.
Once I got to the airport it was filled with touts and one grabbed my bag out of the taxi and walked it to the door of the airport.  He then demanded $20 for walking 100 feet.  I refused and gave him a very small amount and someone else grabbed my bag and walked it the 10 feet to the airline counter and asked for $20.  I got pretty mad and yelled at him and luckily he went away.  After customs, touts are not allowed so it was finally peaceful.  Waiting for the same plane was an Alaskan couple I'd met briefly at the Delhi airport and they said that the touts at the airport are impossible to get around and that I handled it correctly.  It was still frustrating!  Our flight for Pokhara was delayed, but for some reason it wasn't listed on the departure screen and we couldn't understand the Nepali instructions so it was constant confusion.
Barber in Pokhara
  There was only one gate open and every time a new flight boarded people swarmed to see if it was there flight.  Several times they boarded two flights at once at the same gate.  On the other side of the gate you board a bus to the plane so it easily could have happened that someone got on the wrong plane.
    Once on the flight it was a completely different story.  It's a short thirty minute flight and from take-off to landing you get spectacular views of the Himalayas.  I made sure I was sitting on the correct side so I would get the best views.  I took so many pictures I nearly ran my battery out!  It's just incredible.
    After landing at Pokhara I took a taxi up to Mala Devi Village where the paragliders land.
Parcheesi on the streets
  Pokhara is a mountain town where most people start for trekking in the mountains.  It's located on a large lake: Phewa and has spectacular views.  The main area of town is definitely steered toward tourists, but outside of that it is very agricultural and you get a great sense of the local culture.  I couldn't find a taxi after Mala Devi so I began walking back to the main area of town.  It was a very warm 78 degrees and I was sweating with my large pack, but the views made it worth it.  As I was walking, a local on a bicycle (Rajendra) stopped to talk with me and ask why I was walking.  I explained the taxi problem and he offered to take me to the main area in his boat.  I'd been planning on boating that afternoon so it sounded great to me and he offered such a low price I couldn't refuse.
Some views of Pokhara
  He walked me to Green Peace Guest House where his boat was located.  I loved the view so much that I asked how much the rooms were: $1 a night.  It is a shared bathroom that is outdoors, but I couldn't pass it up after seeing the views.
    Rajendra took me on a four hour ride in his rowboat and told me everything about Nepal.  We rowed across the lake and stopped for a Fanta at this beautiful little restaurant before rowing back to Green Peace.  He invited me to go to a bar to watch his friend's band play that evening so we agreed to meet up for dinner later.  He was very helpful in helping me find everything I needed in town.  We had dinner at a nice little restaurant called Tea Time where I had fresh fish from the lake.  We then went to the bar and played pool up until an hour ago.  (I lost pretty badly).
    I hope I can get some of the pictures loaded so you can see this place.  It's completely beyond description, I love it!
ehancy says:
That sounds really pretty and relaxing! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
Posted on: Jan 07, 2008
One of continuous Himalayan views …
One of continuous Himalayan views…
Lake in Pokhara