AsiaIndiaAgra

Royal treatment in the shadow of the Taj Mahal

Agra Travel Blog

Baby Taj

My train to Agra was two hours late.  After checking in at my hotel, I hopped an autorickshaw for some sightseeing.  I decided to save the Taj Mahal until tomorrow so I can see it at sunrise which is supposedly the best time.  So today I went instead to the Baby Taj and Chini Ka Rauza.  I also went to a place across the river from the Taj Mahal and got some great photos of the backside.  All along the river people were drying their saris and themselves while the goats and buffalo wandered around.  Very surreal.  I also saw a camel and tried to take a photo, but a kid wanting money (about $10) blocked my pic.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't his camel and I definitely was not paying $10 for a photo so I left.

Camel outside Taj Mahal

Next I walked through some local bazaars.  I didn't buy anything except a fresh squeezed pomegranate juice, but it was interesting to see the markets.  On the way back to the hotel, I actually saw a man die.  He was working on a generator (I think that's what you call them) and was electrocuted.  By the time they managed to pull him down he was already dead.  I don't know what it is about this trip, but I've seen a lot of death everywhere.  Maybe that's more normal in India, but I hope its not a bad omen or something!

I had some tea on the roof at my hotel and watched the sun set over the Taj.  I then walked a few doors down to the most expensive hotel around- Hotel Oberoi at $1100 a night.

Generator where the guy was killed
  It was quite something to see, it looked like a palace with fountains, marble sculptures, open air buildings for lounging in, etc.  I just went to the bar and they thought I was a guest so put me on the roof which is for guests only.  The way I was dressed I have no idea how they made that mistake, but many people here assume all Americans are very wealthy so maybe that's all it took.  The prices were crazy, I ended up just ordering a mixed juice drink which turned out more like a shake and was delicious.  On a roof across the courtyard, they had traditional dancers performing just for the few people sitting at the bar outside (there were three others besides me).  The dances were great, the first one involved a woman dancing with a pot of fire on her head for ten minutes- now that's talent!  It was a bit strange at the same time.  They were performing for us, but were far enough away they couldn't see our reactions.  I wonder if that's how it was in the days of the the temple performers, you felt like a queen on a throne watching the slaves perform for you.

glennisnz says:
I am not that surprised someone died working on the electricity, I have seen some amazing messes of wires going into buildings, can't be easy trying to fix the many outages they have over there. Love your camel photo.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008
TravelingShannon says:
Guess who is flying through Minneapolis on Monday? That is right your favorite sister! Sandra and I are going to get dinner. You should join us.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008