First flight on Spirit Airlines, Nightmare at Budget Car rental

Fort Lauderdale Travel Blog

Got a great rate at the Park N Fly at FLL. $4.50 per day. Usually its $9 per day but I found an internet link giving me the deal.  Spirit Airlines, according to a stewardess, is part owned by the same company that owns RyanAir. It runs very similar. $10 extra to check a bag. $2 for a coke. $2 for a snack on board. No entertainment on board what so ever. But it's the fares that make people book it. $150 including taxes round trip FLL - LAS nonstop. Can't beat that.  The flight was fine and the plane a newer A320. We even landed early.

Budget Rent a Car was a nightmare. Waited 20 mins to get to the counterperson. They offered an upgrade to a luxury car for $10 for the 6 days. I asked "$10 for the 6 days,  not $10 per day". "Yes" she said. Thats a great deal. First Park N Fly, now Budget. Hey this is going great I thought to myself. If the gambling goes this good this will really be a great trip.

So she prints off the contract for me to sign. Thats where the fun began. It wasn't $10 for the 6 days it was over $30 per day. I asked her "What the". She looked at it and said "sorry, the computer must have made a mistake".   Yeah, sure. Just give me the original car. Then 5 minutes later she prints out another contract and then I sign that one. "Your car (Chevy Impala) is in slot 25" she says. OK, so now I walk out to slot 25. Guess what. Its not an Impala its a Van. You got to be F*&%ing kidding me!!! I'm going to kill her.

So I found someone outside and showed them the contract. "You need to find the Impala with this number on the sticker in the window". Are you joking? No he wasn't, so we trudged around with our luggage and checked the 5 Impalas. Guess What? Thats right, not one of them had that F*&%ing number in the window. Now I'm really pissed. Someone "counterperson" is dead.  As I start walking back to the counter the manager sees me and must have seen that I was red in face and going to kill his worker, so he decided to ask me what was wrong. I explained it to him and he said "wait here, I'll take care of this" He went inside and came back out. "That car isn't here, so here is another one."  I didn't ask, I didn't say anything. Just took the contract out of his hand and left.  I thought to myself "If the gambling goes like this, I'm dead".