Destination Ísland (Iceland)
Iceland Travel Blog› entry 1 of 15 › view all entries
September 21st, 2007 – by: franciscosss
Planning and Preparation
- To go or not to go: I decided while in my office and clicked to buy the plane ticket one week before leaving (14-SEP-07). I had Iceland on my mind from early this year and tried to convince friends to go with me. Nobody was interested so finally decided to go by myself. I really needed some time off, far far away...
- Plane Tickets: IcelandAir.com: $460 from BWI>KEF (Reykjavik) which required me to drive 5 hours to Baltimore (21-SEP-07 8:30PM returning the 27th 7:30PM). Still much cheaper and faster than by plane from RDU>Charlotte>BWI>KEF. I searched Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, but buying directly from IcelandAir.com was the cheapest way!
- To Drive or take Buses: I wanted freedom and consulted with a friend and a cheap 2WD would be good enough.
- Lodging: Hotel, guesthouse, hostel? I wanted some comfort and "convenience", I didn't have plans, didn't know exactly what I wanted to see or do, so I reserved Hotels: first 2 nights in Reykjavik, one night in Husavik (way north) and the last 2 nights back in Reykjavik. I did it through Expedia.com: 5 nights for $454 in Hotel Vik, Hotel Metropolitan and Fosshotel in Hussavik.
- Packing Food: I went to Costco and bought: 4 bags of Beef Jerky, Granola bars, Protein bars, Dole fruits that come in small cups, Tuna mini "lunches" and a big bag of Lindt Truffles.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!