Washington DC Day 7

Washington Travel Blog

Day 7:

One more person arrived from Amsterdam, but alas his bag was also still in Amsterdam (great going KLM!) with his tuxedo in it for the gala of tonight, another challenge….

We had a tour through the Gallery of National Art, which was the best. The building itself is gorgeous, now I come to think of it, almost all the buildings in DC are beautiful. I really like the architecture, especially since no building is allowed to be higher than the monument or the capitol, plus the place must be ravishing in spring when all the cherry trees come into blossom. The collection they have in the Gallery is outstanding, I can even cross off a “need to see before I die” item of my list: I saw an honest to god Da Vinci.

Molly was the one that took us on the tour, she was brave enough to show us the Dutch collection, which is really divers. And with a group that is really schooled in the arts, she still managed to surprise us. After the Gallery we all went our separate ways, which for most of us meant shopping in Georgetown ;)

And in the evening there was the gala at the ambassadors residence. I thought that this was really just for the group, so I didn’t go, which came back to bite me in the… since the group called and asked where I was, the whole table seating plan was shot to hell. And they really wanted me there. How sweet is that? So I went to train in the hotel gym, got to talk to the trainer who was an interesting character, he was shot 6 times, once in the head (I could still see the bullet hole) and he was still walking and talking and hitting on me ;)

After which I took a shower and joined the group in the bar for drinks. There were all pretty cozy already, so it was fun.

Washington