Day before I leave for Afghanistan

Fort Riley Travel Blog

Well, it’s the day before I leave. I decided I should get a laptop, and so far it’s been pretty cool. I’m glad I ended up getting one. I think I’m getting the jitters in my tummy. A mixture of excitement and nerves. I can’t believe it. I’ve never been anywhere, and Afghanistan is going to be such a big adventure. I’m going to try to keep a journal about my experience. It shouldn’t be too hard to keep up, I hear I’ll have a lot of down time.

I met a lot of cool people here. I’m not going to be stationed with anyone, which is lame, but I guess I can deal. I’ll probably meet some awesome people who aren’t in the Navy out there in the desert. I really have no idea what to expect. Everyone is going crazy because they don’t know what’s going on, haha. I think it’s a little silly. After all, even if the people that are in Afghanistan who we are replacing told us what was going on, it’s not like it would be the same for us. Everyone's experience is different.

We’re not flying into KuwaitWell, it’s getting late. I’m going to go to sleep. I have a super long day tomorrow.

homeres says:
I was in Iraq during this time period
Posted on: Aug 21, 2014
ambria says:
I know what you mean. It was a big year for me too. I was so nervous/excited that day :) Thank you for what you do as well :)
Posted on: Dec 24, 2011
homeres says:
2007, a year I'll never forget, went to Iraq the first time. Thank you for your service and sharing your story on TB!
Posted on: Dec 24, 2011