Eye-opening bus trip

Peru Travel Blog

Road to Puno

The bus ride from Copacaban to Puno was very uneventful, but gave a lot of time for reflection on the start of my trip, Bolivia and life in general.

It took a while to identify what had been missing in the first days of the trip and I finally figured it out. I hadn't seen a single school in La Paz, Copacabana or the countryside. However, as we got closer to Puno I saw so many children in their school uniforms walking. Some of them had several miles to get to school, yet they still made the journey. These children don't have school buses. Mom and dad don't have a mini-van. Mom and Dad don't carpool. In a nutshell, if you want an education, you have to earn it. These kids carry their books (no fancy backpacks) and walk to school through a very barren landscape.

Road to Puno
As I looked out over fields, in the distance you could see children in uniform walking through the misty fields, toting their books. My respect for this country grew by the moment.

Since I was there during the peak of winter, the landscape was brown everywhere you looked. From time to time I would see a few women together with mules or llama, heading out to the fields to work for the day. Though it was brown and very non-descript, there was something so peaceful about seeing the day to day life with no frills.

Our bus would stop on the side of the road constantly to pick up locals trying to get to the nearest town or to Puno.

So I was wrong in my initial statement...this is trip was eventful. I saw the life of the local people and appreciated their dignity, endurance and way of life. I looked at my own country and was ashamed at how spoiled the children are and at how much we all take for granted every single day.

Road to Puno
Checkpoint in Peru...note the chap…
Checkpoint in Peru...note the cha…