Home, Sweet Home

Fostoria Travel Blog

My seat mate was a nice girl from Milwaukee, WI and we struck up a conversation and kept each other company the entire trip. After 5 hours, we arrived at the Fostoria station and I detrained into a very cold night at 3:40AM. I was the only one who got off the train and the nice couple who managed the station waved at me and hollered for me to come into the station.

I now know why I couldn't come back on March 2nd like I had planned to. Amtrak was discontinuing the Three Rivers service from Pittsburgh to Chicago. They informed me that they were closing the station right then, forever. They asked me if I would sign the guestbook, as I would be the last passenger ever to use that train station. I guess I felt somewhat honored, but it was also realization that I would now have to get on the train in Toledo, OH from now on.

This was an unexpected special moment to conclude my trip. I put my luggage into my car and made my way back to Wapakoneta. I slept until 2:00PM the next day. Can't wait to plan my next trip!

lisalush says:
Nice blog mate I enjoyed reading it. I'd never before considered travelling by train.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2006
vances says:
An uncanny conclusion --- was "The City of New Orleans" playing in your mind when they shared you'd be the final passenger?

Thank you --- enjoyed blog!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2006
X_Drive says:
Great blog. I enjoyed all of it, including the tips you left here and there. Thanks.
Posted on: May 06, 2006