Austin Sight Seeing

Austin Travel Blog

Texas State Capitol Building
After a good night's rest, off to explore Austin. Since Rachel went to college here, she was my official tour guide. We went to the State Capitol Building first. It was very crowded when we arrived. We learned that it was in fact a celebration of Texas' Statehood. We took a quick tour of the building and the grounds. It was raining a little so we didn't explore the outside very long.

After some history lessons on Texas we drove around the University of Texas-Austin campus. Saw the clock tower where Charles Whitman killed 17 people with sniper fire on August 1, 1966. What is it with Texas and towers anyways?

After the tour of the campus, we walked along "The Drag" and did some shopping amongst the eclectic and home-grown stores and vendor booths.

Had a late lunch at the Brick Oven Restaurant.
Senate chambers
Here we met 2 men who were in town for a balloon artist convention. They entertained the crowd making all types of balloon animals. Rachel even got a balloon monkey. See the review below.

Went back to the hotel for a short nap and then headed downtown for dinner at Stubb's BBQ. I had heard about this place on the Travel Channel and was anxious to try the food. The food was ok, nothing spectacular. I've had better BBQ and the service was a little below par. They seemed more focused on the band that would be recording their concert that night then to their customers. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.

Afterwards, went to 6th Street and checked out the entertainment. Strolled along and had a great time. Went back to the hotel after midnight. Tomorrow is the drive to Houston.

David says:
Glad you enjoyed Austin. I thought Stubb's BBQ was "ok" too, if you are ever back in Austin, check out The Salt Lick which is probaly the best BBQ I've had in my life.
Posted on: Dec 05, 2005
Represenatives chambers
Represenatives chambers
Night shot of the Capitol Building
Night shot of the Capitol Building
Austin Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Wood fired brick ovens are used to bake their pizza and pasta. The food here was wonderful; I would definitely come back here again or visit one of th… read entire review
Austin