So lovely Venezia!!!

Venice Travel Blog

a vaporeto - just the bus

Last night I was in Vienna and today after driving with the night train I arrived to the lovely Venice :)

It was 8:45am and it was hot in Venice, the humidity was incredible. As the locals say: "Molto caldo!" ... anyway, it's impossible not to enjoy this lovely city.  People say Venice is for couples. They might be right, but I was by myself and loved it.

One of the first things I noticed about Venice is that this is an expensive city - well maybe for me coming from South America. I think it's because of all the tourism. I was thinking if I could do the same as in Vienna. I mean leaving my bag in the station, but it was too expensive: €5 per hour, so NO WAY! Out of my budget…

The station was at the main island and I booked a hostel in Guidecca Island.

Guidecca Island
So I had took the vaporeto to go there. I was thinking about buying a 24hrs ticket for the public transportation, but it wouldn't be worth since almost everything is walking distance. It was around 10am when I arrived to the hostel. I wanted to check in, but it was still too early. I'd be able to do it at noon, mmm. But I could leave my bags. My bag was too big for the lockers, so the girl storaged it in the office. I was about leaving the hostel and a man said me: "Bella ragazza!" What?!?! I decided to keep on moving and left the place.

I took the vaporeto and went back to the main island. In my way I was able to see the different buildings of venice, so beautiful! Could hardly wait to start walking through its streets. I decided to go to Piazza Sn Marcos and spend the rest of the day visiting the museums, but... there was a Strike!!!! Unbelievable. I thought these things just happen in Peru. Anyway, I changed my mind and  thought about knowing the city.

One of the things I loved the most here is that everything is walking distance and is just great getting lost in the small and narrow streets.

I have been walking through the city, climbing stairs, just with a map. Then I got hungry and had a Panini for lunch - it was just what I needed - delicious!

While I was walking, a "Gondolero" approached to me and asked me if I want a ride. It will just cost €60, No Thanks. But I wanted it... :(

I went to Piazza San Marcos and climbed the Campanile. The view of the island(s) was amazing! They guide in the Campanile - Agostino - was really helpful and offered himself to show me around the others islands in Venice the day after, since it was his day off. In the meanwhile, he helped me going into the Cathedral without doing the loooong line.

in my way to Piazza San Marco
I guess, all the people in the line might have been hating me when I went inside without doing it, oooops. Oh! When you are in Italy, do not forget to wear something with sleeves - at least short ones - and not "short" shorts, otherwise you won't be able to go inside the churches. I was lucky, I had a light jacket in my backpack. Uffffff. The San Marco Cathedral is amazing. I loved the horses on the top and every single detail there. I climbed the stairs and got a lovely view of the whole island. But the view from the Campanille was better. Breathtaking!!!

I took the vaporeto and went back to the hostel. Finally I could go to my dorm. Then I listened Spanish words. Hey! I saw a girl and started to talk to her in Spanish. She gave me a huge smile. She was from Chile. Ale and I started to talk and I told her I'd have a minitour through the nearby islands tomorrow and she wanted to join me next day, ok!

I went downstairs to look for internet.

La Basilica di San Marco
But the computer here wasn't working. Nevermind the guy working there told me there was a comunity center just 2 blocks away from the hostel, where I could find free internet, yay! I had to write Alen and let him know I was in Venice. I was about leaving the hostel, when a man came from the office. It was the man from the morning. He called me: "la peruviana!". He asked me if I had plans for dinner. I told him I was about going to the comunity center to check my email and maybe grab something to eat. He told me not to do it and come back right after checking my email. He wanted me to join them for dinner.

When I was back, I joined them to the office. We had pasta, what a suprise! and wine :) Claudio was super nice! He was thinking about visit Peru with his family soon. After dinner I stayed with them at the front desk.

walking around
I was just helping them with all the people coming, hahaha. It was so much fun! I went to bed around midnight. Tomorrow would be a long day... but fun!

yadilitta says:
yes, nothing beats it! Thanks for your kind words :)
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
JKondr2755 says:
Nothing beats backpacking through Europe! Great blog!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2009
travelman727 says:
Yadira, what a wonderful day you had in gorgeous Venezia :-D
Posted on: Nov 27, 2007
the Campanille
the Campanille
in the Campanille
in the Campanille
View of the Basilica from Campanil…
View of the Basilica from Campani…
view of the houses
The clock tower
The clock tower
Palazzo Ducale
Palazzo Ducale
one of the entrances of Palazzo Du…
one of the entrances of Palazzo D…
a bus station
a "bus" station
the Canal
the Canal
grand Canal
grand Canal
Venice Sights & Attractions review
Beautiful Basilica di San Marco and amazing view from the Campanile
When you are in Piazza San Marco, you can't miss the Basilica or the Campanile. The Basilica is very beautiful. There are always queues, but it's w… read entire review
Venice Hostels review
Nice hostel in Guidecca Island - Venice
I stayed in this hostel while I was in Venice. Some people like it and some don't. I enjoyed my 3 day long stay in that beautiful refurbished old buil… read entire review
Venice