More temples? Blah.....

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Having both a/c and a fan at full blast at night, even in hot Chiang Mai, is not a good idea, as most of the night is spent underneath a duvet! Despite this, we book two more nights, and after some breakfast at a local coffee place, we spend the whole day wandering through the various temples that Chiang Mai has to offer. And, there are quite a few. Half the fun is finding some of the more obsure ones, wandering through deserted sois, following our free map (given by the hostel), and then re-finding the main roads, realising that we are walking in the wrong direction!

After so many temples, it's easy to get a little blaze about them, and that's the way I feel after today. We saw sooo many today, but there are only a few which stick in my mind, all within the fortified old town, heavily influenced by the Burmese. The main one is Wat Chedi Luang, which takes up a whole block in the centre of town, and is 700 years old, and, like so many religious structures, in the process of restoration. The other main wat is Wat Phra Singh, which is absolutely huge, and all the temples are free to get into, although the obligatory donation boxes are everywhere, of course. After getting lost on the way home, I spot a bar over the other side of the road, sporting the Pompey Football Club crest. Blimey, even the skate gits have made it over here!

Unsurprisingly, the evening is spent playing pool, and drinking. It's the Scotland-Italy game, and we find a pub, and some whisky to watch the game with, which Scotland lose, unfortunately. The rest of the night is much of a blur, until about 3AM when I have memories of getting a foot massage, then eating some food at a street stall on the way home. Poor girl, subjected to those monstrosities!

Chiang Mai