one hour in country, already a crime victim

Dongguan Travel Blog

I don't feel too much like writing right now, considering the totally crappy day I had, but I will give you the short story.  One hour out of HK we arrived at our hotel in HouJie Town.  The three of us were sitting in an area of the lobby with three couches in a "U" pattern.  All of our computer bags were at our feet as we sat on the couch and talked.  I told Alan and Brian that I was going to go the men's room before we headed over to our first appointment.  WhenI got back, in place of my computer case was an old, empty computer case.  The hotel's surveillance camera showed a man watching us as he pretended to talk on his cell phone.  Every few minutes he would walk closer to us and finally he sat down on an adjoining couch.  When I got up to go to the men's room he moved over to where the two couches adjoined, put down the empty case, picked up mine, and left the hotel.  In my case was my lap top, Lauren's digital camera, and my passport.  I spent the rest of the morning at the HouJie Police station with Nelson as my interpreter.  Tomorrow morning first thing I'll go the American Consulate in Guanghou.  I've been assured by the US State Dept in DC that they can provide me a temp passport good for at least a month, plus a china visa on the spot.
merk says:

What a maroon...

You must have gone to the men's room to remove that "kick me" sign someone stuck on your coat.
Posted on: Oct 24, 2007
joannemerker says:
Unbelievable! Call me when you can.
Posted on: Oct 10, 2007
kt_christine says:
aw man, waht a bummer. didn't your friends watch your bag while you went to the bathroom?
Posted on: Oct 10, 2007