Stop over

Klagenfurt Travel Blog

Slaying the dragon
The trip across Austria into the small city of Klagenfurt on Sunday was quick and relatively painless. We left Vienna right when we said we would and travelled for about 4 and half hours to get to Klagenfurt, which sits right on a big lake (the Woerthersee) near the border with Italy and Slovenia. We had our first stop at the ubiquitous chain of European roadside restaurants, the Autogrill and found out that bus tends to overheat when going up mountains, and this being the Alps, had a few. Lots of tunnels, castles, and amazing views. Sunday in Klagenfurt is nothing to write home about, even though, that is what I am doing. Everything was closed, not only was it a sunday, but the town was still on winter tourist hours, it is until June 1st, when I imagine, it will spring to life.
Alps
We ate a Chinese buffet and then checked into our hotel, which was very nice and clean and friendly. You could buy air-conditioning for 3 Euros at the desk, so I was first in line for that. I went with a small group into the city and to see the lake. The lake was beautiful and surrounded by mountains -- it looks to be about 30 miles long on maps. There wasn't much going on there, so we headed back into town. Klagenfurt is very clean and has beautiful buildings and a pretty town square. Nothing was open though, so we headed back to the hotel. It then started to pour and thunder and lightning. On the way home, there was a beuatiful rainbow. We got back just in time for the welcome dinner -- a soup of ribbons of crepes in a broth and then pork. Everything in Austria is made out of pork, which the students are getting tired of, particularly the Jewish ones, I managed to get them turkey. After dinner, I set up the projector with my computer and watched the season finale of Lost with some students and one of the professor, it was really good. Then it was off to bed. I somehow managed to turn off my airconditioning, so when I woke up the next morning, sweating, I was pissed -- 3 Euros wasted.
Klagenfurt