Mind the Gap

London Travel Blog

New and old London
Last night was my big theater night in London. The show started at 7:30 and it takes about half an hour to get from the door of my hotel to Soho where the theater is at, so I decided to leave at 6:30, so I could get a quick bite on the way there. I got a cheeseburger at McDonalds and was on the train by 6:41, it was all going very well. Then the line I was on was shut down for a passenger emergency. I waited, and soon we started up again, only to go 2 more stops, just one away from where I needed to be. There the train was told to prepare to wait as the passenger emergency a couple stops away was being handled. I decide to get off the train and grab a cab for the last little bit.
A great pub
I was on Oxford Street, which is very busy, and every cab was full. It was a little after 7 at this point, so I panicked a bit. I went to a side street and eventually a cab stopped for me. I got to the theater with 10 minutes to spare. Mary Poppins was a great show. It was very Disneyesque, with great costumes and sets and special effects. Not my favorite thing I have ever seen, but I really enjoyed itm and would recommend it to anyone. The chimney sweep tap dance part and the scary toys coming to life to put the children on trial were definite highlights. I was on the second row, so I felt very close to the action, and almost got hit by a chimney sweep brush at one point. I headed back to the hotel after the show soon after Brazil won its football match. The streets were filled with drunken Brazilians in green and yellow and there were flags everywhere. At 2 o clock in the morning, a group of Brazilians started playing soccer in the stree in front of the hotel – very loudly, the ball bouncing off cars and buildings. I checked to make sure non of the students were involved and they weren’t, so I let the neighbors handle it. Within 5 minutes, it got quite heated on the streets, lots of screaming and yelling, but eventually, it quieted down, and I got to sleep. Today, the students had their last final and Joyce left to go home. I went with some of the students to the HMS Belfast and to the Knights Templar church, the Temple (as seen in the Davinci Code.) It was a nice day in London. I am always amazed by the politeness here in signs and in people – my favorite is “please, stand clear of the doors, please” -- 2 pleases in one sentence. Plus, I am almost used to the money and to going left when you want to go right, on sidewalks, stair, etc.
London