So this is the dry season???

Monteverde Travel Blog

La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Well we caught the bus to La Fortuna which was a pain and a half. The first half of the trip (it was 5hrs in total) was fine, but the second half I had an aisle seat and I had a fat lady sticking her belly into my head and draping her arm over the back of my seat and her hand over my head the entire way! We stayed in La Fortuna Hotel which was fine, I shared a room with Sam and Rowena + Therese. After dinner (I had the local dish Casado which is rice, beans, plantain + maybe a tortilla sometimes) and afterwards we went to the Baldi Hot Springs.
This place was CRAZY! I felt like I'd stepped straight into a Las Vegas resort! 25 different pools each heated with lava from the Arenal Volcano and ranging in temperature from 35-45C. There was even tons of waterfalls and a waterslide. It was just amazing. It was so relaxing too, it was brilliant, and I felt really clean for the first time in ages. It was so Westernised though, every second person had an american accent. We stayed for about 4hrs. Unfortunately the whole time we were in La Fortuna the clouds did not part for us to see the lava flowing down the Arenal Volcano.
The next morning we went rafting down the Class III Rapids of Sarapiqui - SOOO much fun. Some of the rapids were absolutely massive (I only have 15min on the internet so sorry this is so brief!)
Today we travelled to Monteverde by horse (~2.5hrs) and it was just PISSING down with rain, we got absolutely soaked. We took a boat to the other side of Lake Arenal to meet our horses, and we got dropped off in the middle of the jungle (no pier or anything). We literally just stood in the pouring rain for about 40min before anyone came along! We felt like we were in Survivor or something...Anyway, the horse-riding was fun and we saw a few toucans amongst other brightly coloured birds + butterflies.
We're now in Monteverde and tomorrow we will go zip-lining through the cloud forest which should be fun. I'm going to have a nap now cos I'm buggered! My phone has had no reception since I got to Costa Rica and I can't use my phone card either, so sorry if you've been trying to get in touch.
I hope you had a really nice birthday yesterday Dad and I'm sorry I couldn't give you a call!
Hope you are all well + enjoying the hot weather (it never stops raining here, despite being the dry season!)
Anyway, I'd better go.
Hasta luego!
thehappywanderer says:
Wow yeah its definately not raining here - it's 42 degrees for NYE! Sounds like a real adventure. Can't believe im setting off myself soon - gonna pack today. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Posted on: Dec 30, 2007
ponynoble says:
Hey clare, sounds like your having a ball as usual, hope you brought a good rain jacket. Happy new year :-D
Posted on: Dec 30, 2007
Chelsea says:
Hola, what's zip-lining? This all sounds so adventurous already, I'm so jealous :) (especially about the horse riding!)
Posted on: Dec 29, 2007