The calm after the storm...

Utila Travel Blog

Well today I was on a strict diet of toast with Vegemite and Gatorade, cos we had another long days travel ahead of us and I was scared stiff! Thankfully I had had a nice uninterrupted sleep so was feeling much better already. We spent most of the day travelling listening to Bob Marley courtesy of our awesome driver Lionel from Hotel Cocibolca, and finally arrived at La Ceiba on the coast of Honduras to catch the ferry across to Utila, part of the Bay Islands. Unfortunately we were told that no ferry had gone across in 3 days! We waited for about an hour though and finally one came along, the Utila Princess. The sun was shining, the water was flat, so we thought we would sit on top, particularly since downstairs was freezing and smelt like gas. Well, as soon as we got out of the port it was like something out of the Perfect Storm...quite hilarious if my stomach hadn't already been feeling like a washing machine! Several people vomited and everyone got drenched but I managed to stay reasonably dry and keep my toast down. We arrived when it was dark and walked to our hotel 20min way, called Margaritaville Hotel. It was really nice right near the beach and the rooms were good too. The only downside was that it was quite far out of the main strip. We went to Evelyns BBQ and Grill for dinner and I had a small piece of grilled chicken. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and apparently the pina coladas were the best ever. Afterwards we just went back to bed as I was a bit scared at what might happen now that I'd eaten something other than toast!
Utila