Panajachel and Lake Atitlan

Lake Atitlan Travel Blog

At 8am we had breakfast which was bread, tortillas, scrambled eggs with tomatoes and a nice hot porridgey drink. I offered Mercedes some Vegemite and was not surprised to see she didn't like it very much!

Headed into Panajachel at 9am after hiking up to a lookout point at the top of San Jorge for a great view of the 3 volcanoes surrounding Lake Atitlan. We then caught a boat to San Juan La Laguna where Sammy had once lived and worked for a year. It was a lovely place and we visited 2 womens collectives where they used natural colouring in their textiles (crushed beetles, berries, seeds etc). We then took a pick-up into the next town San Pedro La Laguna where we had lunch at TinTins Restaurant (which was, strangely enough, a Thai restaurant) before heading back to Pana. We all bought fruit pies to give to our families as thankyou gifts ('un regalo para su familia para desir gracias') then had pizza at the Circus Bar before heading back to San Jorge. I had taken 5 cold and flu tablets during the day so was VERY thankful to crawl exhausted into bed that night; my feet had been dragging around like lead blocks all day!

Chelly415 says:
I must say Panajachel and Atitlan are beautiful!!! breath taking views....
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009