Masaya markets

Masaya Travel Blog

Hotel Cocibolca, Granada

On the 3rd we had a nice late start as some of us had decided to visit the markets in Masaya, a town about 20km from Granada. The buses left every 30min so we could leave whenever we wanted. I was glad we had decided to go there as the markets were really good. We visited both the Mercado Municipal Ernesto Fernandez and the Mercado Viejo, each of which sold traditional handicrafts such as leathergoods, woodwork, hammocks, paintings etc. I bought some hand-painted wooden boxes and some vases-don´t ask me how I´m going to get them home in one piece, but I will try! On the way to the 2nd market we passed a baby with hydrocephalus, which is where their skull expands due a build-up of cerebrospinal fluid inside it-I have never seen a baby like this before except in pictures and it was sad to see it there with its mother, knowing that if it had been born in a more affluent country something could have been done.

We returned to Granada in time for dinner which we had at a great Mexican restaurant nearby the hostel.

Tomorrow we have a 10hr journey!!! to Comayagua in Honduras. We have all decided to pay an extra US$10 to get a private van rather than take 6 different buses for a total journey of 16hrs!

I hope you are all well and would love to hear what you have all been up to.

skippyed says:
Love markets can't wait to explore them myself :D
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008
Chelsea says:
Hi Clare, your trip sounds like it's been fantastic so far :) Well done with the climb, sounds like it was kind of tough! But they're always worth it, eh. I'm so jealous to hear about the markets... I love markets! Speaking of which, we (Al and me) went to the Night Market the other day... it was pretty good, we stayed for about an hour and I managed to walk all of it! Go me! Haha
Posted on: Jan 04, 2008
Hotel Cocibolca, Granada
Masaya bus station with chicken bu…
Masaya bus station with chicken b…
photo by: keef_mon