Livingston and the genie

Rio Dulce Travel Blog

At 9am after having smoothies in glasses the size of massive soup bowls we headed out on a boat for a tour of the local sights. Our first stop was a bird island where we saw lots of egrets and cormorants. We then headed to a natural hot springs where we went on a tour of a really dark musty cave that had bats in it. We went in water almost up to our waists so we had to take our shorts off and just go in in our bather bottoms. We had all been given torches and when you shone them into the water you could see small shrimp with glowing red eyes floating around. Thankfully they decided not to bite our toes! Afterwards we sat in the hot springs but as they smelt terribly eggy we didn't stay for too long before heading off to Livingstone which is famous for its black culture.

San Felipe fort
I did feel as if I'd stepped off the boat into Jamaica or something!

For lunch we went to Buga Mama where Mayan students from an ecotourism college work as waiters and waitresses. The coconut curry sauce that most of the dishes came in was absolutely delicious. I said to one of the others 'I wouldn't mind getting my hair braided' when poof! out of nowhere a crazy gold-toothed woman appeared (actually, she may have been a man...I couldn't quite tell) offering to do all sorts of strange things to my hair for only 40 quetzals. She wasn't impressed when I said no and even went so far as to start stroking her fingers through my hair! Of course after she'd left Sharon made jokes 'Hmm, I wouldn't mind winning a million pounds' etc etc etc, hoping her genie would appear too! After lunch we walked to a horrible beach and had a delicious icecream before hopping back on the boat and heading to San Felipe Fort. All of us had had a lot of sun by this point and opted to cruise around it rather than paying 20Q to hop off and look around. Headed back to the hotel and spent the evening relaxing as usual.

Rio Dulce