Island paradise

Caye Caulker Travel Blog

Got up early (surprise surprise) to make our way to Caye Caulker. Had to wait over an hour for the minivan to arrive which was as cramped as ever and exceedingly uncomfortable. I slept on and off to Belize City, where we had a 1hr wait for our water taxi to Caye Caulker. Again I slept, hunched over on my backpack. Surprised I haven't been bitten by a stray tsetse fly with the amount of sleep I seem to be needing!

The trip to Caye Caulker took just over an hour in the speedboat and when we arrived we walked the short distance to Tom's Hotel. The rooms were alright - clean and comfortable -  the only downside being we all had to share bathrooms, but with only 7 of us and 2 bathrooms that was no big deal.

Had lunch and booked a snorkelling trip before heading out for tea to Jolly Roger, a little place on the beach where for 25 Belizean dollars ($US12.50) you got mashed potato, garlic bread, a rum & coke, chocolate cake and some type of seafood. They did grilled chicken especially for me.

Afterwards Sammy, Terese, Breege and I headed to a bar where we found out on CNN that Heath Ledger had been found dead in a hotel room in NY. How terrible. Only hope his family found out before they showed it on CNN.

Caye Caulker