Final Mayan ruins (#3)

Playa del Carmen Travel Blog

Tulum ruins

Met up with Sammy, Sam and Row to head to Tulum at 9:30am. It was pretty easy to get there; we just took a minivan to the appropriate point along the highway south of Playa then hopped off. It was a stinking hot day so by the time we walked the 2km to the entrance we were already all sweating like crazy.

Had a cursory look at the ruins, which were jam packed with American tourists and which Sammy said were rumoured to be fake anyway, then we walked down the clifftop to the beach which was STUPENDOUS. Rolling turquoise waves, fine white sand, hardly any seaweed and no rocks. Beautiful. We stayed in the water for at least an hour then decided to walk back to the entrance and have lunch.

Headed back to Playa and I showered before hitting the shops.

Iguana at Tulum ruins
I walked up and down for about 3hrs and went into nearly every single silver shop to get gifts for my mum and sister. They had some really gorgeous stuff and it was so hard to decide what to get, but I eventually picked out a few things.

Met up with everyone at 8pm for tea and I had shish kebabs. Rowena wanted calamari but ended up with a whole octopus on her plate which was quite hilarious! Afterwards we walked around for a bit and I had a gelati before we headed to Coco Maya (next to the Blue Parrot) where it was ladies night (free entry, free drinks). The bar was pretty cool and the music was quite good but the waiters were really rude. We all got up and danced eventually, but the power kept cutting out periodically so we gave up and went to Bali Hai which we also had free passes for. This place was awful - it was pitch black with just strobe lighting and electronic/techno music. We didn't stay long and walked around for ages trying to find somewhere free to get in with good music (most places cost US$10 just to get in in Playa). Sammy piggy-backed me cos my feet were killing me. We ended up at Ula Gula and had one drink there before heading home at 2:15am.

Beach at Tulum ruins
Beach at Tulum ruins
Sammy, Breege and Sharon at Coco M…
Sammy, Breege and Sharon at Coco …
Sam, Row and me at Coco Maya