Back to Antigua

Antigua Travel Blog

San Jorge kid

Unfortunately I knew it had to be coming and this morning we got served black beans for breakfast. I had to laugh when Terese ate them really fast to get them out of the way and Mercedes took this to mean she was really hungry and wanted more! Said goodbye to our families after breakfast and caught a minivan back to Antigua and to Casa En Familia where we had our first showers in 3 days...ahhh...

Had a very lazy afternoon and dinner at Las Palmas again. Being Tuesday night it was ladies night at Monoloco Bar so we headed there to enjoy complimentary drinks. Saw 'brownie man' again so had to apologise that I hadn't eaten one of the brownies - I had found the shop he had described in Pana, but they didn't look half as good as he had suggested!

We then headed to Reillys Bar, an Irish pub, till about 1am.

San Jorge girl
This is when all the pubs/bars etc close in Antigua but every night there is a flyer handed around with the address of an afterparty on it, generally at someones house. It is at a different house each night and although it is illegal they get enough money at these parties to pay off the police. We hadn't been to one yet and this was our last night in Antigua so we thought we'd give it a try. We all got into a tuktuk and attempted to find the place, which no one seemed to quite know the location of. Then we got pulled over the police (which I thought was because there was too many people in the back of the tuktuk - there were 5 of us in a 3 seater) but actually they just wanted to frisk Sammy and check his ID to see whether or not he had a criminal record! I was really quite appalled on his behalf and they didn't even ask to see our passports or anything. Sammy was quite unfazed however. After this dampener we decided to head home, and got stopped once more by the police on the way. Never did find the afterparty!

I do find it ironic that men get frisked all the time while for women at most they give a cursory look over the contents of their handbags, especially since outside every shop there are men with machine guns and you can be sitting eating lunch in a cafe surrounded by men with pistols in their pockets...

Back in Antigua