Neu-Anspach Travel Blog

Another great sunny fall day in good ole Germany, perfect do grab the family and do one of those spur of the moment things. Since we did not make to the Hessen park after we had been to the Saalburg we decided to go back and see the whole park today. Well, actually I decided, the others had a choice, if they want to come along. Well, except for the dog. He did not have a choice.
It was the "Wine" Weekend, where the Winequeen was present and a little market was set up in the "Marktplatz" of the Village. Naw, she is not a wine queen, because she handles the most liqour, it is more that she represents the wine of a certain region and tries to turn people into alcoholics - hmm, I mean into wine drinking gourmets. So, she was there representing her region and given us samples. The kids and I gave ours to mom, who all of sudden was not complaining about the cold anymore and seemed to be in a happy mood. Must be good stuff.
The Marktplatz inside by the old school house had many other things for sale as well. Mainly handcrafted things, but also things to eat like honey and of course they had a Bratwurst stand. This is not a regular thing though. The Marktplatz before the entrance has a couple of restaurants, souvenir shop, photo shop, bakery and such things.

Unfortunately a lot of the houses are being restored and renovated, so many were closed. Shame, because it is so interesting to see them inside. Give you an idea of what it was like to sleep in a house with wind coming in from all walls. Brrrr. It was quite cold, but we had fun nevertheless. But it did give you a whole different perspective than visiting in the summer.

I spend a lot of time in the post office, where you could see all the different apartus. Like a Telex machine and we were allowed to type on it and the kids were so intrigued with the yellow ribbons full of dots coming out of the machine. And when the postman stuck it back and all of sudden it started typing - it was lost of ooohssss and aahhhhsss. When I told them, that I used to work with this, when I got out of school, my daughter looked at me - you know THAT look - and just said - mom, you are soo old. But she was rather surprised that I grew up with "real" telephones and not a lady that would plug in the cords. How boring.

We also watched a carpenter and he invited my daughter to join him and taught her how to handle the tools. Poor man, it was so cold in that little shop of his and it really did give one a good idea of how cold the houses really were back then. After he had suffered enough from answering all those questions of the kids we walked on to a regular living house. There we watched a woman cook a very good smelling dish in wine sauce and got to see how difficult it is to keep the fire at a temperature where you can cook the food without burning it. After my daugher started lecturing her, how to keep the fire burning right, I thought it was better we walked on again, before she throws a pot at us.

After seeing the stables, we went further down to the Jewish train. It is a wagon, to give you an idea of what they looked like inside. And when you exit you can get a lot of info of the Jewish in Germany. Also there is a Jewish Bath house to see, very interesting.

In one of the houses they have an exhibition on the Hessians that migrated to the US and live in the Armish villages now.

The most interesting part is probably the old church, but I enjoy just walking around the park, since there are no cars, no noise and not too many people. And depending on what day you go, you have a chance to watch the different crafts from beer brewing to soap making.
dahling says:
I am not sure, but they made it so you have an idea of what it was like.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008
martinezsmi says:
was the jewish train used to transport people?
Posted on: Aug 09, 2008