Mi Cabanita

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

This weekend Matt came into town, and we rented a cabanita (aka teeny tiny cabin) in El Tigre.  In my mind, El Tigre would be a cute little town that we could taxi to and from between hiking and cookouts at the cabanita.  We arrived in El Tigre, and I immediately felt my lungs clear and noticed how I did not have to yell over the vrooooms of buses to hold a conversation.  It was a small town—not sure how many blocks, but I know we easily walked from one side of town to the other in search of steak.  The steak we found was of coarse the size of my head and a mere $3 USD a piece including fries and wine!  I looked up the email Monica, the cabanita owner, had sent me and it said to buy two boats passes.  I naively assumed that this was purely for scenic purposes.  About forty minutes later, when the boat boy told us to hop off on a decrepit dock, I was a bit worried.  However, we were quickly greeted by Monica, her Husband Carlos, and Wes & Negro, their two dogs.  They showed us to our cabin and then helped us set up the bbq and grill the steaks we bought at the market.  Upon investigation the next morning, there was simply a river in the front and woods in the back.  This blew my mind!  There must be literally hundreds of houses and cabins all along the seven or eight rivers nearby, and none of them have road access to a city.  If they needed to go into town for anything, they had to use their own personal boat, which many did not have, or they had to take one of the public transportation boats that we took.  I also noticed that there were numerous plastic jugs attached to the tops of these boats.  I found out that many families sent water jugs into town with the boats to be filled, since their water in their homes and the nearby river was not potable, or even remotely clear for that matter.  Aside from the lack of technology and transportation, I was entranced by this place.  We walked along the river and stumbled upon a huge orchard of orange and lime trees.  As a typical tourist, I felt compelled to take pictures with the tempting lime trees, and the owner came out to see what we were doing.  I told him we were just passing through, and he said it was fine and actually let me pick some fruit to take with us!  Now I am back in the smoggy city of Buenos Aires with a headache, and I am positive that one more little stroll down the river bank would be just the cure I need... oh well!