AsiaIndiaPushkar

Pushkar, the holy city

Pushkar Travel Blog

Brahma Temple

Pushkar is located about a 6 hours drive from Jaipur, in the county of Rajasthan, and is one of many holy cities in India.  It's also one of the oldest.  Pushkar lies near the lake Pushkar, a holy lake, where you can find about 52 ghats.. where pilgrims bathe in the sacred waters.  You can also find the well-known Brahma Temple in the middle of the city.

It's a small city, and gives a great insight in how India really is.  How the people are, and how the culture are.  Just strolling down the streets makes you get to know India just a little bit more.

Brahma Temple

Pushkar is also a great place for a camel ride.  Keep in mind that riding a camel is slightly more painful than you would think.  So if you think a tour more than 3 hours is a good idea.. think again.  We went riding all the way around a mountain, and we were on the animal for about 3 hours or so.  I've never been in such pain.  Seriously.. I had trouble walking back into the hotel.  But if you just forget about the pain, it was such a fun experience to sit there, on the really tall animal, riding through the indian desert.  It's kinda surreal too.. in a way.

One other thing you really shouldn't miss while in Pushkar is the sunset by Lake Pushkar.  It's absolutely beautiful.  I'm not used to seeing sunsets at all.  (Cause where I live there's too many trees.)  This one was one of the most beautiful sunsets during the whole trip.

I should also mention that Pushkar is really cheap.  Everything is cheap.  You'll get dinner for around 100 Rupees (which is like $2-3).

Brahma Temple
The holy mountain in Pushkar.
The holy mountain in Pushkar.
People meditating near Lake Pushkar