Sunday Market

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Road the bus down to San Telmo, which is a very old area of the city, complete with narrow one way streets paved with cobblestones.  On the way, we saw many Boca (a local soccer team) fans going to the game, wearing blue and yellow jerseys, and some very enthusiatic fans started singing on our bus.  On Sundays, some of San Telmos streets are blocked off to auto traffic and opened up to local artists and street vendors.  Most of it is junk, but there is some interesting finds such as colored glass seltzer bottles, phonographs, and traditional Argentine craftworks.  We spent most of the day walking around and watching the street performers.  We made our way down to 9 de Julio (the widest street in the world, which is right next to the famous Obelisk) to have cafe con leche and rest our feet.  We decided to grab a pizza and a litre of beer and come back to the hostel.  We ordered a mozarrella and tomato pizza, which was complete with unpitted green and kalamata olives.  Our waiter saw an american dollar in my wallet and immediately want to trade me for it.  I guess it is a good luck charm.  We then found phones to call back home, since it was mothers day.  We went for a walk, which lasted for a few hours, and ended up at a heladeria (an icecream shop).  Argentines eat ice cream by the bucket, and are very very thin people, yet they smoke like chimneys.  I am starting to get sick from all the smoke.