Flying Back on the Wizzy Jet

Budapest Travel Blog

Wizzy Jet!

Michelle and I had booked tickets back to London on Whizz Air, an airline we had never heard of. It looked pretty sketch on the website and we joked that it was as if our Estonian friend Olesia had got drunk one night  and woke up having emptied her bank account on a fleet of planes, then decided "Why not? I'll paint them all pink and fly my friends around Easern Europe". Yes, they were all bright pink.

Despite our concerns, the Wizzy Jet brought us to Luton airport very comfortably and in one peice. We took the train to Gatwick airport, where our connection back the US was flying from. If you're keeping count, we hit 4 out of 5 of the airports in London on this trip -- flew into Heathrow, out of Stansted, into Luton, out of Gatwick.

Luton sunrise
Oh, London City Airport, you elusive thing.

In security at Gatwick, we were behind a group of Indians who spoke Michelle's language, some obscure dialect which she describes as being only spoken in one tiny fishing village on the coast of India. This was perplexing for her, as she doesn't care for relatives, much less random airport strangers who may be relatives, but I was distracted by the way they all responded to being searched by the metal detector. Instead of standing and limply holding out your arms to be waved down by the obligatory metal wand, they all stood legs apart and hands up as if they were being searched by the police. I guess it's tough being brown in England.

Security took forever and a day because flying to the US from London has a whole bunch of extra precautions.

Houston
Everyone gets the metal wand, there's like 3 different places where you line up to be asked questions, etc. Someone told us that it was even worse on that day because we were on Threat Level Orange, althouogh I have never remember seeing it on any other color. It's like, 9-11 was red... and then every other day is orange.

We found Atousa at the gate and headed home to San Francisco, via Houston. After leaving Budapest at 4AM, switching airports in London, the hours long security ordeal that is flying to the US from London, and temporarily losing Atousa again at the Houston airport, Michelle leaving her bag at security and having to catch the next flight back... we all finally made it back home sometime around 10PM pacific time... which, with the time difference means that we had been traveling for....about 3 days or so.

Houston
Michelles family reunion at Gatwi…
Michelle's family reunion at Gatw…
1,532 km (952 miles) traveled