Dreaming of Polar Bears in London

London Travel Blog

It all started when I found tickets to London for $475 from SFO, a major steal. I've been to London before, and I'm really into going to exotic/different locations these days, so I wanted to use London as a stop to get cheap tickets to a more exciting locale. Ryan Air was also doing a promo where lots of flights were being sold for one pound, plus taxes. Sure, it meant we had to fly out of Stansted instead of Heathrow (where our London flight landed), making transfer logistics a bit complicated, but I figured 1 overnight in London should give us plenty of time. We decided on Norway, so we could see the northern lights in Tromso, eat reindeer and possibly make it to the polar bear infested island of Svalbard. Such big plans.

We overnighted in London at a decent hotel near Paddington Station that was cheaper than a lot of hostels. It was about $50 a night for each of us. They gave us 2 rooms -- one double and one single -- for the price of a triple. In hindsight, we should have booked in advance. Fresh from traveling in Peru, where everything's avaiable all the time, I had developed an aversion to booking anything in advance. In this case, it did work out pretty well, but it took some calling around to find the place, and we spent a lot of money on the payphone.

jteddyb says:
Oh crap, I posted on the wrong one! Now I'm gonna have a bunch of posts on your page for no good reason.
Posted on: Oct 02, 2007
jteddyb says:
This is one of the funniest blog entries I've read. I never realized how harcore the Hungarians were. But I think the Russians could still kick their asses.
Posted on: Oct 02, 2007