The 3oz Containers of Dread

Gilbert Travel Blog

Many of you in the US already know about the 3oz container rule imposed for airport security.

I never thought much about this ever since I flew during those moments of crisis in London, where all you were allowed to carry was a clear plastic baggie containing your ID/Passport and car-keys. I'm used to travelling with very little anyways.

But for years, carrying a small travel version of my favourite hairstyling product or shampoo was always a pain... Until I ventured into Wal-Mart the other day.

Apparently marketers have done their research, and if you stroll down the isle where those mini-samplers are found, you wont have to look long until you find containers precisely 3oz! And what do you know, they are even  branded with an airplane on them. How cheeky.

Living in America, this really doesn't surprise me. Each time something like this happens, someone somewhere comes up with an idea to make a profit. And does it work? Well, at 50-cents a pop, I did end up buying a few empty containers!

Here's why...

You cannot fly with liquid or make up containers that are more than 3oz.

No matter how many of these things you have, they all have to fit in ONE quart-sized zip-bag!

And how many times have you purchased those travel-sized products only to run out... Say... the very next day, or two?

3oz seems great… For me at least, on short journeys… and appears to be dead-on-it for quantity vs. available space.

At least It will be a few less travel-sizes to squeeze in that dreaded plastic baggie!

sylviandavid says:
thanks for sharing this.... just to let you know I think you meant to say one quart sized zip lock bag. I am going to have to check out Wal-mart. i am so glad I read this... good job! sylvia
Posted on: Oct 03, 2007