Travel Threat RED

Saint Louis Travel Blog

Parking garage security line
I was not going to update my blog today.....but.....at breakfast this morning, Barry noticed the news show was broadcasting from the airport.  Long story short, a terroist plot had been thrwarted in Great Britain; however the US raised the security level to RED, meaning horrible wait lines at the airport!  We left the hotel and hurried through morning traffic to the airport, and checked our car in at the rental agency a little over 3 hours before our flight was scheduled to depart.  After weaving through crowds of people, we got to the ticket counter and waited over 40 minutes to check-in......the new security level meant that almost nothing was to be carried on to the plane and everything had to be checked, especially liquid or gel products (that meant repacking suitcases and cleaning out purses of EVERYTHING, hand cream, toothpaste, lip balm, etc.
Parking garage security line!
).  We left the ticket counter only to walk back out of the terminal and into the parking garage to find airport employees holding up signs that said, " End of Line ".  This was the security line to enter the airport secure areas.  We snaked through this line that wove in and out and in and out of the parking garage and finally back into the terminal to snake through waiting areas again....we estimated we waited in a line that was over 1 mile long!  We finally made it to our gate with just 20 minutes to spare; it had taken us over 3 hours to get through all the lines!  These photos really don't do the situation justice, I took them in the parking garage of the Seattle airport to illustrate the length of the lines.  We did finally make it to San Francisco where the security lines were hardly noticeable (that's odd!) and on to our plane for the long flight back to St. Louis!  Finally home at 10:30 pm, the heat and humidity are miserable -- when can we return to the beautiful, cool climate of British Columbia??????
Eric says:
Ahhh, I know how you feel! I got caught up in the long lines at the airport too. I was actually traveling from London to the USA on this very morning. Took 5 hrs to just check-in, and 5 more hrs to board the plane (they were hand-searching everyone going in and the flight kept getting delayed). Most of the flights were grounded, so I'm glad I got out, even with the 10 hr delay.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2006