Snow Shooooing in Flagstaff Arizona

Flagstaff Travel Blog

Yes, Arizona gets SNOW.

This year in particular had some wonderful snow fall.  And being that I don’t ski, I wanted to get some hiking in and the best way to do that is with snowshoes.

I rented a pair from REI for a day, I think it cost me $34 USD. You have to return these when you say you will, of course, because they charge you the rate + some other percentage.

I was originally told I could hike through the trails at the Flagstaff Nordic Center, but when arriving there they said they were not going to allow any snowshoes on the trails because the cross country skiers would be upset with me messing them up with my gear.  They advised there were some state park roads just a few miles further south and to try hiking there instead.

I hopped back into my car and drove along keeping my eyes open for such a road. This became quite the task since I have a tiny car that weighs nothing and with all the snow on the road I had to be very careful. Soon enough I found that road the man at the Nordic center had talked about, and there were only a few other cars parked in a clearing at the trailhead.

I am a very experienced hiker and needless to say my first time in snowshoes was a challenge. It takes 2x much effort to make every step being the snow was as deep as my knees in some areas. I only did about 6 miles down his road, but that was more than enough for me! I didn’t mind the extra workout of course, because the trip actually reminded me of all the times I was a kid playing outside in the snow!

I felt that I was in a winter wonderland--it was quiet, VERY quiet--and all so peaceful. And with nobody insight I felt very lucky to have had this whole area to myself for that afternoon.

I went camera crazy, taking pictures of everything. And at times there was a little shower of fresh snow falling upon my nose and in my hair and all around the forest which added to the ambiance!

But these photos are just a few I took along that State Park Road. I can’t remember the name of it, but the area is littered with these roads as park rangers need to service certain regions throughout the year.

So if you up for a little more than cactus in Phoenix, come to Arizona in the winter. Sometimes you'll find fat blankets of snow just like this, which makes for quite the contrast when coming from the Sonoran Desert.

photo by: walterman9999