Grand Canyon Day Trip

Grand Canyon Travel Blog

Belive it or not this was a "day trip" I made from Phoenix.

I woke up at 3am and drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon solo. It was a very simple drive, just LONG.

Getting there I decided I was going to do a 8 mile hike, so I did! I will have to say that from where I was the Bright Angel Trail isnt as pretty from inside the canyon as it is outside, but I know I didnt go in far enough to see the real beauty of it all.

I had the pleasure of meeting a number of German and English folks walking along the trail, and were generous enough to share some of thier trail mix with me. It was a lot of fun since we all shared mutual travel experiences from around the world. Who knew you could meet such people in a great big hole in the ground!

After the hike, I took that wonderfully FREE shuttle bus (free is a key-word for me) from end to end of the canyon taking snaps along the way.
Realising I had a very long drive a head, I called it a day. BEfore leaving the GC I stopped at one of the tourist-trap gift shops and got a wooden picture frame which had some canyon-like carvings on it, and grabed an over priced fizzy drink on my way out.

I was going to stay at a hostel in Flagstaff, but decided that I could do another 3hrs of driving, probably not the best idea. I wouldnt recommend this being that people on I-17 drive FAST with little regard for others; and late at night can proove to be quite scary.

I finally got home somewhere between 11pm-12am.

Its a blur looking back at this point, but If I were to ever do this again, I would NOT make the GC a day trip. :)

Grand Canyon