Toledo, Avila, and Salamanca

Salamanca Travel Blog

The past two days we have spent traveling all around Spain. Yesterday we took an hour bus ride to Toledo, a rustic walled city that dates back to the Roman empire. The landscape was a sharp contrast to Madrid, with the city being located on a large hill with narrow, winding streets. While there, we were able to see one of the most famous Spanish paintings, El Greco´s "Burial of Count Orgaz." As with every work of art we´ve seen, it was breathtaking to experience firsthand. The painting was at one time the largest canvas in the world, so that gives you an idea of the scale. After that, we walked nearby and visited a synagogue and a cathedral, two extremely different styles of architecture. They were both fascinating in their own respect; the synagogue was small with extremely detailed adornments, and the cathedral seemed to swallow anything or body that entered it.

By far, it was the most fun day I´ve had in Spain.

This morning, we traveled to Avila to take a short walking tour of the city. While there, we saw a few cathedrals and many embattlements around the city walls. As I type now, I am just off the main plaza in Salamanca, another gorgeous Spanish city. We are on a break for lunch, so when we meet back, we will tour another cathedral and continue walking the rest of the city. We should be arriving back ain Madrid at around 8 pm tonight, so we will most likely be going out to enjoy our last night there. Tomorrow, we will board the bus after breakfast for an 8.5 hour drive to Barcelona. I, along with most everyone else in the group, am looking forward to a change. The food in Madrid has been a bit less than what I expected, and I hear that Barcelona´s seafood is amazing.

I hope everyone is having a great time back in the States!

Salamanca