Headed south.... to Invercargill!

Invercargill Travel Blog

Harry the Toatura

I woke up on Tues morning feeling a bit tired and sick. Which is surprising as the previous night has been the most relaxing of all the nights so far on the trip. But, I was not in the best of moods or shape that morning. We left the hostel at around 8am. And somehow the thought of going to Stewart Island didn`t seem all that interesting to me. Not to mention that it was a bit expensive just to see a bunch of exotic birds! So I opted to stay at Invercargill.

The trip to Invercargill was quite boring. Flat land, no grand landscapes. Only nice thing is I met a British born Goan Brian who introduced me to this website. I usually sleep when I`m on the bus so I surprised myself when I was awake for the entire 2 hr journey talking to this guy.

with Paul and Marrina
He was really interesting - he`s travelled all over the world, he`s a teacher and he attended Kylie`s "Showgirl". So as you can see, I had LOTS to talk about with him. He`d come with his charming partner Caroline.

Our hostel at Invercargill, named `Rotorua hostel` was really neat. Yes, `neat`. Very clean, very tidy and very well organised. The bus dropped us off at around 10am before proceeding to Bluff, Stewart Island for the night. As soon as we landed, I checked email, had a burger and actually slept! A few of us got down at I`gill - me, Marinna, Rick, Paul, Helen, Ed and the Irish girls. At around 2pm, Marinna, Paul, Rick and me went to the museum to see the rotoruas which are the only living dinosaurs today. I felt they looked more like iguanas.

After that, went for a walk to the bank and coffee shop with Rick. Came back, slept for a while. Went for a walk around the city, did some grocery and got back. Had dinner with Paul. The rest of the group went to a movie but I just checked email, relaxed and slept around 11pm.

I met Cameron, a British bloke that used to be with Capital One till he resigned to focus on travelling. It was interesting talking to him, he`s also into music and TV and had lots of good ideas and info.

Vikram says:
V interesting !
Posted on: Jan 02, 2016
Besandri says:
I was born in Invercargill and left when I was 15.
It is too cold and wet down there :)
Posted on: Jan 02, 2016