Goodbye Barrytown, hello Franz Josef!

Franz Josef Travel Blog

Getting ready for the trek

We left Barrytown in the morning around 8am. It was f*cking freezing. And there was no hot water. Basically, bad start of the day.

Our drive was quite rainy. I sat at the back of the bus, next to some really arrogant British girl who didn't even make small talk. We stopped over at Hokitika which is known for its green jade. We also used this as a supermarket stop. Went with Bronwyn to the grocery. got back to the bus and spent the rest of the journey eating a veg salad. We stopped by at this weird place - they make Possum pies. It was cold, wet and damp. There was a boring movie on I think deer poaching, and they had a wild pig as well as some possums in cages. The place smelt bad.

We cont`d on to Franz Josef. It got a bit sunny from this point onwards. Reached FJ around 2pm. Our first stop was to book the glacier ride for the next day. Had lunch (soup) and went to check email. Went for a walk around the town, and took a little walk in the forest leading upto the glacier. Decent enough walk. At least helped kil time. I`d still not made any good friends on the tour. But was getting used to seeing things on my own. Infact I liked this idea much more.

Got back to the hostel. Roommates for tonight were Paul, Will and that awful Cannuck f*ckwit Ben. Slept in early again, around 11pm. Slept like a log. The hostel was clean and thank God for hot water! The hostel was however noisy as the Kiwi Experience bus people were also staying there.

Ils1976 says:
yikes, possum pie ???
Posted on: Feb 01, 2014
docztor says:
Uh...it's Franz Josef, not Frank Josef. Anyways, its beautiful down there. You might want to change the name because it could screw some people. Enjoy mate.
Posted on: Apr 29, 2006
Vikram says:
It did Eric...VILE is the word my man!
Posted on: Dec 07, 2005

Thursday, November 17th

Got up early and went to the "Glacier Guides" centre for the glacier trek. We wore those trekking uniforms and headed up to the glacier. It was quite elaborate. A bus takes u to a certain point and from there you walk. We had a guide. We were about 25. This was fun. We were given instructions, and the walk to the glacier itself takes about an hour. Not to mention more time spent in wearing those shoes, the ice talons, etc.

The trek itself was amazing! I`d never even dreamed I would one day be trekking on a glacier. It was a bit scary at times. Especially when we had to walk over those makeshift wooden bridges. But what`s really impressive is the phenomenon of a glacier.

I mean, HOW is it possible to have a full blown glacier in the middle of a rainforest?! You cannot believe this is possible by the laws of nature, but that`s what NZ is all about - defying nature!

We stopped for a food brk atop the glacier and went walking in another route on the way back. This part of the journey was more interesting. You walked through glacier caves, narrow pathyways, very dangerous and steep. We finished the trek by 2pm, started our descent and walk back to the bus. I couldn't but help myself taking a gazillion pics on my way back. And of what you ask? Fungus! You know, the funny thing about NZ, even the fungi that grows is so damn picturesque. It colours the stones orange, some combo I've never seen before (see the picture if you don't believe me!) .

Stunning!
During the glacier trek
During the glacier trek
View of the Glacier
View of the Glacier
Even the fungus looks so good!
Even the fungus looks so good!
The wild pig