Individual Blog # 3 - Week 1 (Tasting Argentina)

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

the infamous Cappuccino Italiano!!
        What type of food do Argentines eat?  Well after living here in Buenos Aires for a week, I must say that I’ve had my fair share of meat (all kinds), pasta, pizza & the infamous empanadas.  To be honest with you, my stomach was not ready at first to eat all these starchy foods.  It still craves some spice.  I come from a family that cooks a lot of spicy food, so when I come to a country where spices really aren’t that big, my stomach needs a little time to adjust.

The first meal I ate when I come to 2213 Uriarte was a meal from the pizza place across the street called, Morita.

1st meal in Buenos Aires was here
 I first ordered the small empanadas because they looked good and because a person at the place was eating one.  One I received it and realized how small they were, I quickly ordered another item off the menu: a personal pan pizza.  The personal-pan pizzas (individual) are not small, mind you.  The pizzas which you order from Pizza Hut back home are not half as packed w/ cheese as this pizza.  Regardless, after I came home and ate, the empanadas were so filling that I had to save the personal-pan pizza for later.  There has to be a pizza joint at just about every other corner in Buenos Aires.  I’ve never seen this many shops that offer the same food.  It’s even worse than having all the Waffle Houses back in Georgia.  Buenos Aires is packed with these stores and a ton of small cafes, which each offer numerous drinks which I cannot pronounce.

Besides pizza, pasta & chicken, the drink of choice is obviously wine here in Argentina.  Wine is EVERYWHERE!  I don't know a thing about wine, but hopefully by the end of this trip I will know a thing or two about which one is good and which one isn't.  I think wine might even be cheper than water in some places.  I was stunned when I was offered wine on the flight to Buenos Aires free of charge.  It was almost as if ordering a can of coke or something.  So far all I've learned is that Argentina makes a certain type of wine called Malbec.  It's a red wine and goes well with meat.  As far as white wine is concerned, that might have to pop up on another blog.

Other than wine, the common drink of choice in most areas is café con leche.  This drink requires at least 3 packets of real sugar or 2 packets of artificial sweetener.  I don’t know how the locals can drink it without sweetening it up a little bit.  I guess I just have a bigger sweet tooth than all of them.  I’m still not over the whole small cup, big cup situation either.

Outside of our classroom at the Universidad Del Salvador is a little café that probably makes a decent amount of money everyday from the business that we Tech students give them.  I order one drink and one drink only:  a chocolate caliente (hot chocolate).  The first time I ordered, I naturally had no idea there was a large and small size, due to the fact that I had spoken in Spanish for the first time to a local and ordered the drink with no difficulty at all.  The lady hands me a cup the size of a golf ball and asks me for 1.60 pesos.  Granted this isn’t much when you convert to U.S. dollars, but I was still shocked to see how small the cup was.  Regardless of the size, I still ended up paying the money and enjoyed every drop of the hot chocolate in that cup.  The next day someone else orders a grande chocolate caliente and of course the bigger cup is given.  I almost yelled at the lady for not asking me if I wanted a grande the day before.  The hot chocolate that day and every day since has been satisfying to say the least.  =)

The drink of choice for me now is one that I’ve found in the café up the street called the Cappuccino Italiano.  It has got to be the best tasting drink EVER.  Well, I’m sure I’ll find something new soon enough but for the time being, for those who haven’t tried it, it’s off the chain!