The southern Channel Island: Jersey

Jersey Travel Blog

October 3

I woke up on a blissful sunny day and took my time in the morning, packing some more of my bags and enjoying a shower at my soon 'not anymore' flat in Poole.

I prepared a lunch but finally I did forget it when I left by foot towards the harbour, so I did stop at Sainsbury on the way to get some more. For once I would be on the ship as a passenger and not have to worry about all the lenght and the work that comes with it.
Greatly, I did manage to stop by the bank as well to change my address and then arrived in the harbour just at boarding time.

It was my crew that was sailing, so it was loads of known faces but I had no work to do. I took seat upstairs and the sailing was going to be calm without too many passengers and under a calm sea.
Mont Orgueil Castle in Gorey
I talked with the staff, cheered with them and it was all relaxed. Though the manager did react curt when he saw me... I found that weird.
We stopped in Guernsey on the way and then by the early evening we were in Jersey. Then it was a real farewell to anyone I knew again and walked off the ship in the modern harbour of St. Hellier. I was asked some questions by the custom officer but really shortly. I then contacted my host Jasen who came to get me (the ship was early) and when he arrived we went directly to walk his dog on St. Brelade Bay beach, driving through the tiny road of the island until we parked just off that beachy bay by a tiny stoned church.

We walked on it and while he was talking to some friend that happened to be there too, I was enjoying the rocky wild landscape under the slow sunset.
Condor Clipper at dock in Guernsey
Also there was some Martello tower that had been merged into the buildings of a hotel complex by the beach.
After that tiny sea breeze moment, we went to Corbières where we expected to have a total view on the sunset (the westernmost point of the island) but we were a bit too late for it. It was also a restaurant and we ate there, with a look on the lighthouse and darkening sky.

After a fastuous meal, which I am greatful of my host! And whom he didn't have to offer whatsoever!
we aimed back to Jasen's place in St. Lawrence, relaxed a bit and called a local island taxi to take us to St. Hellier for the night. Of course it was week day, late in the season, so not a huge nightlife. But we went to some local pubs which were great, having a drink.
Then to a sport bar, which had live alternative music and a more energetic atmosphere.
Greve de Lecq beach
That was really a great place to be.
Basically it was an australian pub or something alike.

Jasen, my host, is basically working for the local correctionnal service. Which is obviously something in common with my family as they also work in that field.
Back home we went to sleep.
-------------

October 4

Jersey Island tour!

We woke up early enough and Jasen took me to his antics hobby quest and actually he was selling an old cupboard which we brought to the auctionner.
Immediately after, we toured the centre of the island and the northern part, seeing the wilder forestry middle part up to the Grosnez Castle sea overview and the narrow cove of the north.

Back to the southern - eastern part, the beaches were larger and full of surfers.
Greve de Lecq rocky beach
The main feature is still the german defenses and  bunker, which I paid the entrance of one that was transformed into a tiny homemade museum. It is the only thing I did as such, I did not go to the War Tunnels Museum.
We had another lunch by the beach and aimed again to the northern part of the island to one main feature place where the castle is up the hill to a tiny settlement.
After that full day of touring and seeing the major spot of the island, we ended up in St. Hellier again and later on Jasen left me at the harbour so that I could board the Condor Clipper for the overnight sailing to Portsmouth.

There was really not many people, especially foot passengers. So it wasn't going to be crowded. I took seat in the bending section and prepare to sleep eventually or just be comfortable. First touring the ship feature which I didn't know but was from my employer as well. And also looking Sark, Guernsey and other features through the night... Calm sailing which went all night until the early morning where we started to see the lights of the English coast slowly approaching.
The seat section was in front of the ship with large windows permitting to see where the ship was going, which is relatively nice!

galestorm says:
Southern part seems to be more interesting! Your post is a delighting post really! For a food lover like me, who always gathers information before going to some places, I love to have more information on bars in jersey to enjoy doubly.
Posted on: Jan 09, 2013
Grsnez Castle info panel
Grsnez Castle info panel
St Ouen Bay beach ... surfers
St Ouen Bay beach ... surfers
St Ouen bay beach seen by the germ…
St Ouen bay beach seen by the ger…
Condor Vitesse at dock in Jersey
Sunset at Corbiere Point
Sunset at Corbiere Point
Farm Morel near St Peter
Farm Morel near St Peter
Natural Spring near St Peter and S…
Natural Spring near St Peter and …
Greve de Lecq overview
Boat view at Gorey
Boat view at Gorey
Punky Georges V in St Helier
Punky Georges V in St Helier
Me sailing overnight (as passenger…
Me sailing overnight (as passenge…
Gorey Bay