Visiting friends

Ghent Travel Blog

Gravensteen Castle

The people who picked me were stopping by somewhere on the way but still I made it around Gent-Dampoort station and now just had to search for Baas and Katelijne’s place (they finally came to pick me up on the way and we watched tv, had dinner and played Catan’s settlers, as it was definitely winter outside).

November 17

It was a calm day, Baas was free today so we walked through the city, freezing a little before stopping by a lovely soup place, which was great to heat up. Our evening was the most relaxing one, in front of the tv with some various discussion. While still freezing a little in the house, afterall these Belgian city houses are so always cold and badly heated.

November 18

I spent the day out again but I was looking for shopping. As I sadly lost my lovely toque in Germany some days ago, I needed a new one and bought one at H&M for 2euros. Not bad and warm enough. That complete a bit the clothes I bought at the H&M in Brussels (whom I so like pretty much) while I was staying at Achim. Afterall I needed better clothes now.

In the evening when Baas and Katelijne came back we went to the local cinema and watched Michael Clayton.

Dreupelkot Pub Alley

I love the winter atmosphere in Gent and on East/West Vlaanderen in general, the dusk comes early and the weather is damp. So it creates some sort of strange feeling and the lighting plays a lot with that. Of course it is always too cold, as the damp makes it to the bone. But I always dreamed of living there, or in Belgium, and having my own cosy lovely house to go to and relaxing. So I could have made it a bit of a Canadian better organised and isolated dwelling. Well I did dream about that a lot when I was with Gil but that thought did build up as self-interest too.

November 19

Last day, we went to shop a Colruyt to get things for dinner and on my case, to bring to the UK, and finally relaxed by the evening. My bus will leave really early tomorrow from Brussels. So all my bags are ready and I will actually be leaving while it is still dark to catch the earliest train to Brussels. I don’t want to miss my bus!!

November 20

I left Gent by dawn, it was great but ok my bag was heavy to carry, which I didn’t like. Although it made me feel back to those years when I was actually living in this country and had to leave our flat in Leuven to catch the early train for university in Brussels. This country will always be tainted with memories for me.

Sometimes I am getting bitter at remembering them, or especially at how things turned out.

But well..

Once arrived in Brussels it was chilled and cold, I waited for the bus and waited and waited...

At first I had a little amusement as the city was waking up and I was freezing on the pavement of Brussels South (shitplace), the next-door café snack was just opening. It was slightly drizzling and the pavement as wet, but still the guy took his hose and watered the pavement some more!! How crazy is that.

Of course those cafés cost a fortune, so I stayed outside anyway. I always kept looking as I was always stressing out that the bus might arrive at a different spot which would be at eyesight (as it is not an official bus station).

The hours went, I was in Brussels by 6am and by 8am I managed to call the company in the Czech Republic to know what it was about! I couldn’t spend all my credits so I gave them my number and they called me back to keep in touch and feed me with the right information as they were obviously just arriving at their office and now were wondering what happened with their bus. That was pretty much welcome and I didn’t get mad at them as I felt at least supported. The bus finally showed up by mid-morning… after 5h delay.
But then I could make my way to London with the cheap ticket I had.

Ghent