Nationalism in photoshoot

Brussels Travel Blog

Welcome in Brussels, Goodbye Brussels

November 13

Rainy day!! What happens then, you don’t move too far away except for fries and bread.

A message in Ixelles

I read and watched some of Achim’s movies.

November 14

I finally got up and went outside, I had been such a lazy bugger those past days and hate it. It makes me feel like I have to at least show I made something constructive during my day. Especially since my CV update and job search isn’t that great and I don’t feel like I know what I am doing … and that I am actually a guest at a friend place always made me a bit uneasy. I know myself that I can become bored of seeing people and not feel all by myself when I enter home. So I am always scared that others might have that feeling and try to make myself as little as possible and also as helpful as possible, cleaning and such and trying to not be in the house when Achim comes back. So that he has the joy to sit down and relax after his daily work without having to face a stranger in his own dwelling.

So the weather was at last better, although the usual Belgian greyness.

Just off Heyzel
I went outside to do a long photoshoot day of the surrounding of Etterbeek. The thematic was related to the loads of Belgian flags hanging everywhere or sticked all over town.

In fact will the country survive? They still don’t have a government after weeks and weeks, so it was wondering if the regions would split apart and the federal state finally disappear. The stickers and Belgian flags all over the city are a reaction to that, in support to the federal state and the ‘belgian’ status. This was especially noticeable in Brussels, the capital of Belgium and the bilingual region of the country, one that would have quite some difficulty to get along with the split and disappearance of the Monarchy.

November 15

Quote thought of the day:
''The Theory of Moral Sentiments''
- How Selfish so ever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it!''

I read during the day, it was windy and not so much of a great.

Heyzel Stadium
Only later (as the days are pretty short at this time of the year, that means late afternoon) I walked into town to the tiny ring and ended up going to Cinema. So I was back late at Achim.

Second thought of the day:

''Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants'' - Freakonomics

November 16

Today was to show the end of my wondering, I did not do a lot and neither knew what was going to happen for me. But it was time to start thinking about moving forward and eventually look to go back to England. I will be trying to live and work in London this time. My first step was to go to Gent to visit friends there and this would still give me the necessary days to find a good way to cross the channel and contact people. Aga had still offered that I could stay over again so I started contacting her and most definitely the days were too short and the weather too random to try to venture the crossing by hitch-hiking. So I started looking for transport (I would finally find a good deal with the buses which I took and bought online) before leaving Achim’s place and crossing Brussels and starting to hitch-hike to Gent. It was the end of the day so dusk would arrive soon, but actually it was longer to cross the whole city to the right hitch-hiking spot on the north-west of the city than it was to wait for being picked and make the whole ride to Gent (which is not really far).

Welcome in Brussels, Goodbye Bruss…
Welcome in Brussels, Goodbye Brus…
Belgian Flag -- Flat