Hims City - Tourism Information
Hims Travel Blog› entry 1 of 4 › view all entries
Situated in the midst of other city center Syria north Damascus 160KM and considered as the 3rd important city in Syria the bigger city by the cover.
It is considered as an important industrial and agricultural center, The great oil refinery in it increases its importance. An important traffic net connects it with the other cities and means of transportation Easley available. the Orontes crosses Homs creating life western side while the eastern side is almost a desert, but its steppes are rich in distinctive archaeological sites .
the discovered races of man in this city date back to the stone age, traces and stone tools were found on the banks of the Orontes.
it witnessed several civilizations starting with Arab Cannanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, then it yielded to Alexander the Macedonian, the Selecids, the Romans, until 636 A.D. when it become part of the Islamic Empire. its Climate Varies According to the Different areas fair in the plains refreshing on the mountains and warm in the desert.
Homs in the ancient times it was called Emesa. it was built in 2400 B.C. but it does not reveal to its visitors from the first sight its long life and glories, for some of its sons and daughters became emperors in Rome in 3000 B.C. being in the forces which ruled the area at that time caused the ages so it lost most of its beautiful buildings place and temples.
The important places to See :
*inside the city:
The Citadel of Homs: situated south-western Homs on a natural monticule surrounded by a moat its the most ancient inhabited area since 2400 B.C. (pieces of pottery dating back to this period are archaeological evidences of the fact) the citadel played a great role in history especially at the time if tow states the Nourites and the Ayyoubids and at the time of Mamluks. The Ayyoubids took great care of the citadel especially the warrior king Sheirko Ibn Mohamed. Tow writings commemorating his memory in the years 1173 1178 can be seen on its towers.
The Old Souk of Homs: The old souks of the ancient city occupy a large area the construction of the great part of them dates back to the Ayyoubite, Mamluk and Ottoman Periods. there is a number of Hammams (Baths) which date back to the same Period such as the small hammam AL-Assayati and the Ottoman Also there are ancient buildings and places in Homs the most famous is AL-Zihrawi palace which is transformed into a popular traditions museum.
- Great Al-Nouri Mosque: situated near the gate or AL-Souk in the middle of the present city it is believed that it occupied the place of the Holy Temple of Sun which was built in the time of AL-Shamsigram, the pagan family that ruled Homs at end of the Seleucid period.
- Khaled Ibn Al-Waleed Mosque: it was built at the time of King AL-Dhaher Bebars and rebuilt in 1910 at the end of the Ottoman period according to mixture of styles : Byzantine, Ottoman and Arab. it contains the tomb of the reverend companion Khaled-Ibn Al-Waleed the Greater leader of Islamic Army in that age.
The Church (Om El-Zunnar): one of the most ancient churches in the world which was built underground in 59 A.D. Worship took place in it secretly from the fear of the pagan Roman rule. It was expanded during the christian era. It contains a precious holy relic the Belt of Virgin Mary discovered in a stone stoup under the church altar in 1953.
*outside the city:
Palmyra (Tadmur): situated east Homs 160km and east Damascus 235km . it’s called the bride of the Desert its intermediate geographic position made it the most important commercial center between Mesopotamia and the Mediterranean Sea. Excavations show that it was inhabited since the palaeolithic age. it was inhabited by the Cannanites, the Arameans; then it Yielded to the Romans in the 1st century A.D. and was conquered by the moslem Arabs under the leadership of Khaled Ibn AL-Waleed in 636 A.D. (a separate brochure for Palmyra is available). the most Important ruins in Palmyra: Bels Temple, Bel-Shamen Temple, Nabo temple, the straight street of Columns, the Theatre, The Museum, the Citadel of Fakhr Eddin AL-Ma'ni .
The Castle of The Nights (Crac des Chevaliers): situated west Homs 60km . on a volcanic hill at 750m above sea level its not definite who built it first , what is known about it is that it was built many centuries B.C. and was called (The Kurds Citadel) in the year 1099-1110 A.D. it was occupied by Crusaders. in 1142 the Crusader Prince of Tripoli handed it over to the Knights of the hospital, until the arab Sultan Bebars conquered it with a skillful military plan in 1271. Then it was evicted from the soldiers in 1934 to become a tourist site known as the (Crac des Chevaliers) French name.
AL-Rastan DAM: the ancient Arthossa, this town is situated on a rocky hill overlooking the Orontes where AL-Rastan Dam was built on it.
ST. George Convent (Mar-Jurjus Al-Humeira): it was build of tow storys in the 5th Century A.D. for a group of hermits. In the 18th 19th and 20th centuries many parts were added to it . It has the shrine of St. George which was built in the 5th A.D. it has also a copy the document of the Caliph (Omar Ibn Al-Khattab) dating back to the 40th year of hegira Islamic Year. There are many splendid ancient icons in the convent.
Qasrl'hir AL-gharbi: situated south Homs 130km and east Palmyra 30km . The Caliph Hisham Ibn Abdul-Malek resorted there when he went hunting its facade is 60m high and its structure is a mixture of the Byzantine and the Persian-Arab civilizations.
Qasrl'hir AL-Sharqi: situated east palmyra 110km . it was built by Caliph Hisham Ibn Abdul-Malek in 689 A.D. it is in reality tow connected palaces. it seems that it was a center for the merchants of cereals and agricultural crops and also for hunting.
Tell An'Nabi Mand: situated south-west Homs 30km . in the ancient Qadesh on an artificial hill near which Qadesh battle between the Pharaoh of Egypt Ramsis the Second and Hittites took place. there are many Hitti-Roman and Pharaoh-Egyptian ruins in the area.
Al-Mishrfeh: situated east Homs 20km . The ancient Qatna its surface is one square kilometer its Wall is 4km long. many tablets engraved in the cuneiform writing were discovered in the cuneiform writing were discovered showing the counts of the temple of Neen-Ikal (the mistress of Qatna) and of the temple of the God of power. The ruins of two churches, a hall of jars where the provisions of the city were other kept the Royal Palace and other halls such as the Hall of the throne were discovered in Al-Mishrfeh.